Answers on the natural, no-calorie sweetness of PUREFRUIT™ Monk Fruit Extract.
PUREFRUIT™ Monk Fruit Extract is a revolutionary, natural, no-calorie sweetener derived from monk fruit, or luo han guo as it is called in China. It can reduce sugar in foods and beverages by up to 100% due to its cleaner, sweet taste compared to other natural sweeteners, which often contain bitter liquorice off-tastes.
It is available as a dry powder.
PUREFRUIT™ Monk Fruit Extract was launched in April 2011.
Monk fruit is a member of the melon family (Curcurbitaceae) and is cultivated primarily in China, where it has been used for 800 years to make a tea-like drink. The sweet components of the fruit are mogrosides (triterpene glycosides), which are extracted and concentrated from the fruit.
Yes. It is sometimes listed on the ingredient label with its Asian name luo han guo fruit (luo han translates as monk and guo is fruit).
The sweetness of monk fruit is concentrated in a simple process:
- Crush The fresh fruit is crushed to release its natural sweet juice.
- Infuse The crushed fruit is mixed with hot water to make a sweet infusion.
- Filter The infusion is filtered and goes through a separation process to purify and further extract the sweet components called mogrosides. The concentrate is then spray-dried to produce a fine white powder.
The resulting sweetener ingredient is PUREFRUIT™ Monk Fruit Extract, which is 160 - 200 times sweeter than sugar, so only a small fraction is needed to create natural sweetness in foods and beverages.
Tate & Lyle offers two products in the PUREFRUIT™ Monk Fruit Extract line:
- PUREFRUIT™ Select incorporates patented, protected technology and has been optimised through extensive work in Tate & Lyles Innovation and Commercial Development group. PUREFRUIT™ Select has a clean sweetness. It offers clean-label appeal. PUREFRUIT™ Select can deliver a much higher sweetness level in products compared to 97% rebaudioside A.
- Additionally, we offer PUREFRUIT™ M40 with a slightly lower mogroside V level (40%) compared to PUREFRUIT™ Select. This product tends to have slightly fruity aromatics.
PUREFRUIT™ Monk Fruit Extract sweeteners display a slightly delayed onset of sweetness and a mild, sweet aftertaste. PUREFRUIT™ Monk Fruit Extract products are much cleaner tasting than rebaudioside A 97%, and Tate & Lyles internal sensory research shows that PUREFRUIT™ Select is preferred almost 9-to-1 over Reb A 97 (panellists preferring in water - 8% sugar equivalence).